June 2014

June 2014

Monday, May 12, 2014

First Attempt at Art Journaling... Already Hooked!!!!

Hello crafty neighbors!!!  Hope you're having a fabulous start to your week :-)

I'm popping in to share my very first attempt at an art journal page!!! I've seen the pages and LOVE all the different techniques used.  I've followed along with the "Sundays With Sandee" series over on the Frosted Designs Blog for tips, tricks, and ideas!!  I even "subscribed" to Design Memory Craft's blog because I love the inspiration from their fabulous Design Team! So, I finally made a purchase through the Frosted Designs Store to gather some "art journaling" supplies and give it a shot!

I am entering my first Art Journal page to the Design Memory Craft monthly challenge!  The challenge is to use at least TWO of the following (I used the ones in red!):


Stamper's Big Brush pens (I used the Black one)
Gelatos (I chose the "Tropical" pack)
Textural Accents & Tools (Gesso AND Gel Medium)


Here's a look at my finished page (I only did one side of the journal just as an "experiment"!  I didn't want to get overwhelmed on my first try!):


I have to admit...  I am IN LOVE with this already!!!  It's actually relaxing to just be able to sit and create freely!!  I can tell that this is the start of something new in my crafty world!!!  Hahaha!!!!
Here's a picture of the items I used to create this page:



I started by priming my page with a coat of Faber Castell gesso.  I took three of the gelatos from the "Tropical" pack (Watermelon, Raspberry, and Snow Cone) and colored randomly over my background.  Then, I took a small paint brush and some water to blend it all together!  Once dry, I used the Faber Castell "Gel Medium" to seal it all in!  I came back and added some texture with a Heidi Swapp mini stencil and some molding paste! 


I have tons of stamps... TONS!!!!  I use them for cards, and sometimes even for scrapbook pages, but now... Oh, now I will be using them much, much more!!!
I chose a large flower stamp by Inkadinkadoo and used a black Stampers Big Brush pen to add it to the corner of my page.  I used the "Margarita Mix" gelato from the pack to color in the flower, then added some shading with one of my Spectrum Noir markers!  I finished the flower by outlining it with a Sakura black Glaze Pen and tiny white dots created using my White Uni-Ball pen from the Frosted Designs Store!


I used another (smaller) flower stamp by Inkadinkadoo and the big brush pen to add a flower to the top right of my page.  I used the "Raspberry" and "Margarita Mix" gelato to shade it in, then added the same effects as the other flower!


I finished my page with a sentiment stamp from a Dylusions pack that was perfect for my first journal page!!!  It reads:
"Until you spread your wings, you have no idea how far you'll fly"


I am soooo excited (and proud of myself) that I finally gave this a shot!!!  I am finding that I am walking further and further away from my "comfort zone" and am loving the results!!!



Well gang...  Thanks soooo much for stopping in and have a LUCKY day :-)

 photo 84c064ac-ab01-4e94-bb12-3b3893d8f8eb_zpsabe08004.png

3 comments:

  1. WOW ...love your journal Brandi...wonderful colors and design...can not believe this is your first one...you rock :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your first journal page is amazing!! I love the colors and the flower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's fabulous! I totally love it and am very inspired by it! Especially since it's your first and it's so wonderful! Maybe I stand a chance to creating something half as gorgeous! TFS :)

    ReplyDelete